The National Catholic School of Social Service (NCSSS) has selected 16 students as HRSA Scholars. These students will work to improve the quality of and access to mental health services in medically underserved communities in and around Washington, D.C. These scholarships are part of five-year, $3.2 million grant to NCSSS through the Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students Program of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).

The 16 students are Kessia Brown, Sakira Coleman, Stephanie Crowley, Meagan Dunham, Fatmata Egbulem, Nia Faulkner, Samantha Flores, Jaryn Gessesse, Giovonni Hinton, Latavia Huntley, Katherine Kaulthenhauser, Aisha Kitwara, Consuelo Montgomery, Virginia Parchment, Lauren Reliford, and David Thurston. We are excited that our scholars represent both our online and on-campus MSW program. The 16 HRSA scholar profiles will be listed on this page on a quarterly basis.

• Lauren Reliford
    Lauren Reliford

Class of 2021, Advanced Year, Combined Social Policy - Clinical Concentration. 

House Speaker Tip O'Neill famously stated "all politics are local," a phrase that is incredibly true in the social policy and practice space. Identifying trends at the community, local, and state level are often critical indicators and measures for understanding and improving the health and well-being of Americans, especially for those citizens that are medically underserved and vulnerable populations. I am inspired by O'Neills words and the mission of this HRSA scholarship to serve mothers and children in medically underserved communities in Washington, D.C. by integrating an approach to health care that also addresses the social determinants of health. Hopefully, intervening and treating existing problems for future mothers also means taking preventive population health measures that also ensure the dignity and worth of the unborn and newborn children that address associated short- and long-term risks.

• Stephanie Crowley
    Stephanie Crowley

Everyone calls me Steph. I am an advanced standing student off campus currently living on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. I graduated from CUA in 2019 with my Bachelors in Social Work and decided to take a year off to do service abroad in Ireland. During this year of service I had the unique experience of caring for adults with intellectual disabilities when the pandemic hit. It helped me realize that I hope to bring comfort to those experiencing uncomfortable and unfamiliar situations. The HRSA scholarship helped me attend graduate school to achieve my MSW and this dream. One day I would like to work in a hospital setting helping families through difficult times and diagnoses. I love to travel and learn more about the world and the beauty that surrounds us.

• Jaryn Gessesse
    Jaryn Gessesse

I am full-time on-campus MSW student in my advanced year. I have previously worked as a community organizer for organizations such as Until Freedom United DC. Under the HRSA scholarship program, I would like to accomplish obtaining my degree so that I am able to utilize the skills learned within my studies and practice in underserved communities within the District, Maryland, Virginia (DMV). My interests include clinical social work with children and adolescents, clinical social work with members of the LGBTQ+ community, and community social work. In the future, I would like to work in the field as both a clinical social worker and continue my journey as a community organizer.

• Kessia Monique Brown
    Kessia Monique Brown

Everyone calls me  Kessia (pronounced; Key-see-uh).   I am a first-year student, living  off-campus/online student residing in Arkansas.  I am a mom, wife, friend, and school social worker for a school district of 19,000 students trying to survive a pandemic! I hope to gain knowledge and skills to help those medically underserved once I graduate.  I love people, which probably helped guide me to the social work profession.  I enjoy being with friends and family.  I love to laugh and truly get my energy from others.  The majority of the students I serve in my current position live in poverty.  I hope to increase my ability to be able to empower change in my students' lives long term. 

• Aisha Abdallah Kitwara
    Aisha Abdallah Kitwara

I am a foundation year student here at Catholic University. I am motivated, passionate and dedicated to make a positive impact as a social worker. I desire to attain the knowledge, skills, discipline to elevate the standards, ideals, competence, and ethics of professionally to prepare me for the field of social work. In the near future, I see myself providing professional services within the healthcare Industry. Specifically, I envision myself working as a LISCW in a mental health agency.

• Giovonni Hinton
    Giovonni Hinton

Most people call me G or Geia. I am in the advanced standing program, off campus student residing in Richmond, Va. I am a free spirit and am generally full of natural energy, it keeps me mostly optimistic. I love to laugh and help brighten other’s day. I am so grateful for receiving this scholarship. Under the HRSA program, I would love to accomplish working in a field serving medically underserved clients who have experienced trauma. I am passionate about nurturing yourself and watering yourself through life experiences to assist with overcoming adversities. I love to read in my free time, cook, nurture my plants, workout, and listen to music with a great vibe. After graduation, I look forward to pursuing my LCSW.

• Sakira Coleman
    Sakira Coleman

Sakira is a 23 year old Black woman activist, originally from Northern Virginia. She received her bachelor’s degree in health sciences from James Madison University and is now working on receiving her master’s in social work with a focus on clinical mental health and social change. Sakira has been deeply involved in efforts supporting the Black Lives Matter Movement and co-founded Until Freedom DC, an organization that works towards freedom from oppression for all marginalized groups of people. Some of Sakira’s greatest passions include: positive youth development and community organizing that works towards creating access to higher education, culturally inclusive mental health care systems, and improved healthcare outcomes for Black, indigenous, and people of color. As a HRSA scholar, she wishes to build strong relationships with the other scholars so that they can make change in the NCSSS and DC community as a collective. In the future, Sakira wishes to get her clinical social work license and pursue a career in the macro social work arena to create sustainable change for marginalized communities.

• egbulem-250x250.jpg
    Fatmata Egbulem

I am originally from Sierra Leone, West Africa. I reside here in Washington DC with my family. I am kind, open-minded, and welcoming. I am a foundation year MSW student. After graduation, my work interest would be working with children in the District of Columbia.